Thursday, May 15, 2008

New Tank/Sump

I made the drive up to Stoughton last night to pick up the new tank, which turned out to be a 40BR rather than a 60. Just as well, I love the dimensions of this tank, and hey, the price was right! I also picked up what I think is a 20 that I'm going to make into my sump/fuge for the system. It's got a mirrored back, which I think would be odd as any kind of main display. I've been toying with the idea of a display fuge, but I don't know. Anyways, you can see in the picture that the tank has a small black plug inserted into a hole that's been drilled in the side. As you can imagine, this could be a problem...however, I think I've come up with a satisfactory solution.

Here's a quick render I whipped up in Bryce 6 that displays what I'm thinking about doing to solve the problem. I'll drill the rest of the holes for my intake/return lines on that wall of the tank, leaving the other three panes clear for viewing. Depending on the layout of the apartment it may actually happen that the tank is used as a sort of divider, otherwise I figure I'll just get some black material to put behind the pane against the wall.

I've never done this much construction on a tank before, so it will probably take quite a while to finish everything up...I'm not really sure where to start...I guess the stand is a pretty good place to get things going. I'll be posting pics and news here as I get things roaring. Keep watching :)

No comments: